Sunday, July 09, 2006

Travelodge - avoid if possible

never be tempted to stay at the travelodge! Unless you're in a large stag group and can pack 5 in a room.

The place in Galway is not where it is indicated to be on the google map on the travelodge Galway website. It is about a kilomotre further along and on the other side of the road.

They demand that you pay in advance. though there is no mention of this on their website.

They quote a lower price to those booking on the same day, so you're at a disadvantage by booking early.

And you can hear the fan or extractor from other rooms unless you keep the door on your own bathroom closed tight.

You can't just use the phone, you have to buy a prepaid phone card like a topup for a mobile but when I asked for one they were out of them at 7.30pm in the evening. I was told to go to the Statoil up the road, I went there and got a €10 one for the only provider they sell called National Spirit. When I got back to the hotel it turned out the hotel uses some Century card crowd. So my €10 appeared to be wasted, however I did get it to work eventually. That said it refused to called a 1892 number which is the code for my ISP and so I couldn't use the internet. Well, you could if you had a wifi setup and wanted to payu their charges.

The breakfast which was nice enough is charged for separately.

They tell you if you want to reuse your towels to leave them on the rail but they still replace them.

And they have posters referring to Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland! How very quaint.

All in all, not a great experience. I'll be glad to be out of the place.

2 comments:

knob said...

presumably you won't be returning to travel lodge again then?

Unknown said...

You betcha!

I will, of course, be recommending it to any passing rampaging hordes I come across.